Friday, June 6, 2014

Review: Sunkissed by Carys Jones + Interview

Friday, June 6, 2014

Sunkissed
by Carys Jones

Category: 
Young Adult  
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Format:
Paperback, Sent by Author
Publisher:
Kellan Publishing (October 23rd 2013)
Source:
Goodreads


SYNOPSIS:
Dawn Summers is dying. It’s 1853 and as the seventeen year old continues to fade away she has visions of the father she never knew, urging her to fight for her life.

In the small village of Fandova the only medical care is in the form of the mysterious Dr. Moralus who has a known penchant for bloodletting. Thomas, Dawn's fiancé, is warned against inviting his intervention, but feels he has no choice, he pleads with the doctor to save Dawn’s life…whatever it takes.

Whatever it ‘takes’ has some consequences neither of them expected. Now, it’s a hunt to the death, with both Dawn and Thomas determined to win.


...............................................................
INTERVIEW WITH THE LOVELY, Carys Jones:
 (This interview was made possible by Twitter. Thank you!)

Q1. When and why did you start writing?  

--- I started writing when I was very young, maybe around six or seven. I used to hand write short stories and then draw book covers for them I’ve always been enchanted by how reading a book can transport you out of your own world and I was eager to create stories of my own.

Q2. How long does it take you to write a novel?
--- It depends how much time I can dedicate solely to my novel. Usually around three months but sometimes longer when life inevitably gets in the way and I’m not able to write some days. I like to try and write daily so that the characters and the story remain fresh in my mind.

Q3. What inspired you to write Sunkissed?
--- Vampires! I love vampires! I’m addicted to The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and The Originals. Vampire mythology fascinates as it is dark and intriguing and deals with immortality which as a concept I think humans are naturally drawn to. With Sunkissed I wanted to write the vampire novel I’d always wanted to read. I took all the classic elements of the genre but also put my own spin on it. I’d like to think that the book offers something new to vampire books.


Q4. In your book, Sunkissed, who is your favorite character and why?
--- Probably Thomas. As much as I adore Dawn and think she’s a strong yet vulnerable heroine I can’t help but love Thomas. I feel he’s quite misunderstood. His love for Dawn becomes his only remaining connection with humanity and in the other books I explore his character more.

Q5. What's the best part of writing Sunkissed? --- I love the characters! They are so much fun to write! I also enjoy working within a genre which I love. But as much fun as writing Sunkissed is, there is no better feeling then when someone reads it and totally gets it and falls in love with the characters as much as I did!
 ...............................................................
WORD OF THANKS:
 Thank you Carys for sending a copy of your lovely book and thanks for accepting my interview invitation. I greatly appreciate everything. Thank you so much!
 ...............................................................


REVIEW:

The story is focused on both Dawn Summers & Thomas Weeville. It started with Dawn almost dying  and Thomas asked helped for a Dr. Moralus who is secretly a vampire. After Dr. Moralus treated Dawn, she was alive again and she didn't know she'll be forever changed.

The characters seemed realistic. Both flawed and different in some ways. Dawn acts like an angel even though she's already a vampire while Thomas is turning into a monster. Dawn is a strong, independent, and beautiful woman and that's why she's my favorite character. I like the evilness of Thomas too but I want to see his softer side
(Hopefully in book two!). Thomas is envious of Dawn's abilities (she can run faster and she has superhuman strength) while Thomas considers himself as a useless human. Since he was envious, Thomas did something bad. Really bad.
 
The plot is good. It started in 1853 up to the present day, from a small village called Fandova to NYC. I like how the story ran. I'm in love from the beginning until the ending. I easily got hooked by this book and I'm craving for more! *grins*

To be honest, while reading this book, I can
't put it down! I'm so attached and I can't wait to know what will happen next. I'm not (really) into vampires but this book is an exception. I'm just speechless and WOW. Also, this book is in a third person point of view and as you all know, I'm not really a fan of third person POVs but I love this. I. LOVE. THIS.
 
The ending works for me! I consider it very good and can I please have book two now? Pretty please? Haha, this was a thrilling and refreshing read. TWO THUMBS UP TO CARYS JONES FOR WRITING A GOOD BOOK.
(Fingers crossed for book two!!!)

RATING:

★★★★
...............................................................
 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment