Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Buddy Talk (I Think I'm Ranting): Review Policy & Requests (+ Tips for Authors)

Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Buddy Talk!

Topic: Review Policy +  Requests



Hello book buddies. Today, I'll talk about an important matter, well, at least to me. Today's topic is review policy + requests. 

The topic has been bothering for a long time now. If you are blogging about books, it's expected that author/publishers/publicists or whatever, will send you review requests, right? I myself has been receiving a lot of review requests and I am thankful for that. What's bothering me is 'some' people who are sending me request does not read my review policy, first. I know I have signed up for other websites (i.e TweetYourBooks, The Indie View, and Book Bloggers List) to be able to help authors by reading and reviewing their book, but can you at least take a minute and look at my review policy? It won't take you a long time, promise. Here's a link, if you want to view it.

What's so important about review policies? You'll get to know what kind of books the blogger likes and does not like. You will also know some other things, like where they are currently based, where they would post their reviews aside from their blog, and lots of things more. It just frustrates me sometimes. It has been clearly stated on the review policy that I won't review memoir books and yet you still send me requests about that book? It just shows you did not take time to at least read a bit of my review policy.

I think this post doesn't make sense at all but at least I voiced out my opinions about things. I don't even know how to end this post. Hmm, I'll just give out tips to authors then.

(Disclaimer: These tips are based on my experience, I am not saying this would apply to all bloggers. Just always remember tip number one, though.)

TIP 1. Read the review policy.

TIP 2. Always know what kind of books a specific blogger (the one you emailed about a review request, obviously) likes and does not like to review.

TIP 3. Always take note about where the blogger is based (i.e USA, UK, or etc.) and what kind of review format(s) he/she will accept. Some bloggers does not accept eBooks while some would. It just takes a right blogger, you know.

TIP 4. Do NOT force the blogger to review your book. If he/she does not like to review it then stop sending out review requests. There's a lot of bloggers around the blogosphere, just take your time to find the right one.

TIP 5. If the blogger takes a long time to review your book; ask her why and let her explain. Bloggers are not robots, you know. We also have life outside the blogosphere. Some bloggers still go to school, some bloggers work, some are parents (taking care of their family), and some are just busy with their lives, in general.

That's all for today's topic. I hope (at least) you found this helpful. Till next time!(Leave your thoughts below!)

No comments:

Post a Comment