Sunday, February 15, 2015

Book Haul: Clash of Old + New

Sunday, February 15, 2015
Hello, lovely book buddies. I haven't been really active on this blog so I decided to share some books I got these past few weeks. Some of the books in this list are from Netgalley and I haven't read them yet because my e-Reader is broken. And yes, I do think that a broken e-Reader is the one of worse things that could happen to a book lover. Don't worry because if I get the chance to read them, I will definitely review them here! Stay tuned for that.

Anyways, here are the books:

NETGALLEY (FOR REVIEW):
LUZ, REBOUND
by

Senior Kara Jagger returns to Trinity, a private boarding school in New Mexico, after completing a student exchange year in Australia. She needs the comfort of familiar surroundings, but realizes her friends have changed. Her ex-boyfriend, Ryan, is heavily into a new romance with Christie, a girl who has copied Kara’s look. Christie forbids Ryan to speak to Kara and tries to intimidate Kara into doing the same.

Meanwhile, Kara experiences reverse culture shock. She misses Ben, the boyfriend she left in Australia, and the sense of security that her relationships with both Ben and Ryan previously gave her. So why not try to win Ryan’s attention again, Kara justifies to herself, since jealous Christie accuses her of it anyway?

Still, playing a part in a love triangle means someone’s going to be the odd one out. Kara’s rekindled passion for Ryan leaves her feeling confused and causes Christie to act with increasing desperation. The three are eventually enveloped in scandal that threatens to further isolate Kara from her friends and peers.

As the end of high school approaches, Kara must find a way to emotionally graduate to the person she wants to be, or risk hanging back in the darkness of a painful past
.

THOUGHTS: I actually have not heard of Luz, Rebound before but when I saw it on Netgalley, I had this tingly feeling that I need to read this book. I am very much excited to read this because I am a big fan of contemporary novels and Luz, Rebound definitely sounds very intriguing. I really hope it's a great one. It will be publish on Valentines Day 2015 from Smoke Signal Press. Thank you, Smoke Signal Press!


DUPLICITY
by

A computer-hacking teen. The girl who wants to save him. And a rogue mirror reflection that might be the death of them both.

In private, seventeen-year-old Brandon hacks bank accounts just for the thrill of it. In public, he looks like any other tattooed bad boy with a fast car and devil-may-care attitude. He should know: he’s worked hard to maintain that facade. With inattentive parents who move constantly from city to city, he’s learned not to get tangled up in things like friends and relationships. So he’ll just keep living like a machine, all gears and wires.

Then two things shatter his carefully-built image: Emma, the kind, stubborn girl who insists on looking beneath the surface – and the small matter of a mirror reflection that starts moving by itself. Not only does Brandon’s reflection have a mind of its own, but it seems to be grooming him for something—washing the dye from his hair, yanking out his piercings, swapping his black shirts for … pastels. Then it tells him: it thinks it can live his life better, and it’s preparing to trade places.

And when it pulls Brandon through the looking-glass, not only will he need all his ill-gotten hacking skills to escape, but he’s going to have to face some hard truths about who he’s become. Otherwise he’ll be stuck in a digital hell until he’s old and gray, and no one will even know he's gone.

Huffington Post lists N.K. Traver's Duplicity as part of one of the great YA book trends to look for in 2015!

THOUGHTS: Duplicity is one of my most anticipated 2015 debut novel releases. It's about hacking! What's not to like? Okay... maybe not everyone will like books about hacking and techie stuffs but I sure do. The synopsis of this book is just so intriguing and I am very much looking forward to read it. Duplicity comes out on March 17th 2015 by Thomas Dunne Books.Thank you, Michelle of St. Martins Press for sending me an eARC!


GIFTS:
Book titles in order: Perfect Strangers by Jahnna Malcolm, Mixed Messages by Jahnna Malcolm, Shadow Man (danger.com, #3) by Jordan Cray, A Nasty Bit of Rough by David Feherty,  Give or Take (From the Files of Madison Finn, #10).

THOUGHTS: As you can see, most books that are gifted to me are old books and that's because it were gifts from my cousin, Carmel. She has read the books a long, long time ago. Anyways, I co-blog with her over at Carmel & Kyla. She was cleaning her bookshelves and decided to give some of her old books away to me. Thank you, Carmel! *kisses*

FOR REVIEW:

BLACKFIN SKY
by

When Sky falls from Blackfin Pier and drowns on her sixteenth birthday, the whole town goes into mourning – until she shows up three months later like nothing happened.

Unravelling the mystery of those missing months takes Sky to the burned-out circus in the woods, where whispers of murder and kidnapping begin to reveal the town’s secrets. But Sky’s not the only one digging up the past – the old mime from the circus knows what happened to her, and he has more than one reason for keeping quiet about it.

[This synopsis + cover is from the UK version of the book since I have the same edition. Copy was provided by the author in exchange for my honest review.]

THOUGHTS: I requested this book from the author in exchange of my honest review and she sent my a copy through TBD. She is a very sweet and accommodating author, totally worth supporting. Blackfin Sky is her debut novel from last eyar. Ever since I saw this book on Goodreads, I've been dying to read and now I finally am! Thanks so much, Miss Kat!

No comments:

Post a Comment